If your days of carefree life with minimal responsibilities(read- bachelorhood) are numbered, do take some time to prioritize how you spend your last years/months/days. After the noose – you will be expected to involve the other half in pretty much everything and you have to start thinking of a variety of things such as – purchase of a residence, loans to be repaid (college/home), future family(if kids on the way), emergency funds, kids education funds, annual holidays, household expenses – maintenance / first time purchase or replacement of existing – TV, Fridge, sofa, beds, washing machine, dish washer, vacuum cleaner, water purifier, household items, health care etc etc …this list goes on.
Rather than spend the rest of your (married) life wishing you had done this earlier – take a look at these and make your own bucket list (A Top movie of 2007/2008).(Buy the movie on Flipkart on VCD/DVD/Blue Ray if you don’t have it already – I definitely recommend watching this).
This Bucket List includes both products and experiences – what is listed is not a list you should blindly copy but use as inspiration to build out your own list. This could be a start to your own life time Bucket List as well that includes everything you want to do before finally giving that big kick to your bucket. Also make sure you remember this list when you define your budget for spending money as well :-).
Big Ticket/Luxury/Are you out of your mind:
- Brand New Out of the ordinary vehicle – either a too small car like the Nano/ Reva or a 4×4 like the Thar or an SUV like the Bolero/ Scorpio etc.
- Project Vehicle – Restoration of an antique / sentimental vehicle from scrap to a show piece
- Jeeps – this is a topic in itself – If you ever had dreams of owning/driving an open topped 4×4 off road -and the associated accessories required for this. If there is only one item to have on your must have – this would be it. All others I feel would be possible with a lot of sweet talking 😉
- Convertibles – slightly more acceptable than the previous one
- Vehicle with an out of ordinary colour – red/ yellow/ bright blue etc etc.
- Design and build your own custom hot rod/sports car/replica/kit car.
You don’t really need this/Mid Level (you may get away with some of these – spread out over time):
- In Car Entertainment – Touchscreens HUs/ head rest mounted displays /Speakers/ Amps etc.
- GPS Navigation devices
- Alloys / Up-sized Alloys / tires
- Bluetooth /handsfree kits
- Leather / Sports seats
- Race tickets for events outside your city/state of residence (For. e.g. One F1 Event in India 🙂 )
- Performance/rally driving school training fees
- DIY Racing Simulator – Gaming console, steering wheel, racing seats +big screen TV
- Meeting a racing legend – Schumi/ Kimi / etc etc
- Driving long distance across your home country / Driving long distance to some exotic location of your choice
- Attending auto shows outside your city/state of residence
Lowest Level(Lowest impact – and cheapest – you may get minimal resistance but WW-III wont break out either if you get any of these):
- Track Day outings and associated charges
- Brand specific merchandize – Caps/Keychains/Clothes/Accessories etc etc
- Subscription to Auto magazines like Autocar, TopGear etc
- Movies – car themed movies – Bullit, Fast & Furious series,
- Gaming PC/Game Consoles and associated racing games, gaming accessories – mice, steering wheels etc.
Again just so that it doesn’t seem that your life is over after you get married – just that you have one more voice that will speak practically (in addition to your own conscience 🙂 ) – and that your priorities may change.
Please do share your own lists as well through the comments.
Please make sure you cross off at least one big ticket item before marriage 🙂 and then try to aim for the smaller ones each year.
PS: Make sure your criteria for a future spouse has “must be an auto enthusiast” as one of the key items.