This cake is an unusual cake and the crumbs have a nice crispness to them after baking and the cake is moist and soft due to the yogurt in it 🙂 The cane sugar that I used contributes to the lovely browning along the edges of the cake – I love the color contrast between the light crisp crumbs and the lovely brown cake!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
9" by 9" cake
- 1.25 cup Granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Unsalted butter cold
- 2.25 cup All-purpose flour sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1.5 teaspoo Vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 large Eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Plain yogurt or curd
- 1 to 2 tablespoon Milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Grease a cake tin with a little butter.
- In a large bowl, roughly mix together the sugar, cold butter cubes, flour, salt and vanilla essence until the mixture resembles sand and the butter is well combined. (You can do this with a food processor or with your fingers.)
- Move 1 and 1/2 cups of this mixture into another bowl and squeeze it with your fingers to form chunky crumbs. Refrigerate for a few minutes while completing the remaining steps.
- To the remaining mixture, add the baking soda and the baking powder till well combined.
- Add the eggs, yogurt and milk and mix well until the cake batter becomes smooth and evenly mixed.
- Pour this cake batter into the greased pan.
- Take the crumb mixture out of the fridge and sprinkle it onto the batter. Try to sprinkle the crumbs evenly all over the surface of the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely before slicing it.
- I used a 9 ” by 9″ square pan so I got a thin cake. If you use an 8″ round cake pan, the cake will be fatter
Share this Recipe